Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Revelation in Putra Feeder Bus

Today was my legs day in gym, for the first time I did the squad and my legs are screaming with pain with every step. But it is a 'good pain' that I enjoy, meant that my workout worked and my muscle is tearing apart and rebuilding....bigger.

So I was in the bus, heading home after a good workout and tiring night shift, a saw an elderly man getting into the bus, he was not that old maybe at his 50s or 60s, maybe he just retired and was in PBD for some official work. The bus was quite empty, I was sitting at the back of the bus, he got in and right before sitting down he looked at me......just for a while, I sensed sadness and regret in his stare. I didn't react, I just stared back at him, and before I could smile or anything he sat down. The whole thing happened in fraction of a second, but it had me thinking.... all the way to the LRT station.

What was in his mind when he was staring at me?
I can imagine, that maybe he was thinking that, once he was as young...as that guy sitting in at the back of the bus, and maybe he felt that he could have accomplished so many thing in his life when he still in his youth. Maybe he think that he wasted his life on wrong things, maybe he worked too hard until he neglected his friends and family or maybe he was thinking that he should have spend his youth more productively so that he can enjoy his retirement more. Or maybe I reminded him of his son, or maybe he was thinking, look at that young man, so young, at the prime of his age, and he is wasting all his time on things that really does not matter at the end (what ever is that!)
I don't know what the hell in his mind, but there is certainly a lot going on in my mind. I was thinking too much. I was sad.

I always wondered, if there is ONE advice the senior citizen wanted to give younger generation, what that would be?

I always wanted to approach my father and just talk to him about his younger days, the know all his hardship, all the suffering that he went to to bring up his life. But the thing is ,I am not that close to my father, I always wanted to be close, to break that thick wall of ice block between us, but to no avail.
I knew my father is a very hard working man. I am 30 now, and only now I knew that my dad started out as a 'Roti Man', you know, those men that sell bread house to house in motorbike. But in my father's case, it was a bicycle, imagine that! My mum said, my father will come back home roasted in sun, skin dried and darkened, all to support his loving family, and here we are complaining right after we reached home that we had the worse day because the office air cond was too cold.

How things has changed! If my father hadn't work that hard during his youth, will I be sitting here and writing this blog? I really don't think so.

I am just wondering, if my son, one day would write the same thing about me in his blog?

If there is only one advice that I wanted to hear from my father about our youth, what that would be?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's no harm breakign the ice with your dad.......after all he knows you all out. so be free to talk to him...believe me you can definitely learn alot from him , from his experience as a man, husband and father.......and how went through hardship in providing a comfortable life to you and your family.
don't regret later that you had missed the chance of getting all the knowledge from him.......
so don't miss this good oppourtunity..........

12:12 PM, July 22, 2005

whitewitch said...

It's natural for elder people to expect first move from their children, rather than they themselves making it first. It's their ego. It's not too late for you to get to know your father better. I guess all you have to do is find the right time to approach and talk to him.

I know how you feel, because I'm not close to my father either. Come to think of it, I remember when I was small, everybody call me anak ayah. But all that changed when I entered boarding school. We started to have different view on a lot of things and I guess that's what drift us apart.